Administration ticket for Google analytics: OLMIS-3068

OLMIS-3068 is one of the next few tickets we would like to work on to support Administration. This ticket is just a stub, and I’m reaching out for feedback on what we can include in the scope for the 3.3 release (if we move this ticket up in priority). Please respond with suggestions on what we should include.

As an administrator I want to know:

• when users are logging into OpenLMIS and for how long

• when there are errors in the system so I can troubleshoot (What types of errors?)

Questions:

What other data is helpful for the admin to troubleshoot using Google Analytics to include in our 3.3 release?

Ben or Sebastian, do you have any feedback from working on Malawi, regarding what would be useful to add?

Hi Sam,

It’s definitely helpful to know how many users are logged into the system at the time you’re looking up the metric. If none are, then you know you can take the system down without affecting anyone abruptly. I’m pretty sure we already have this capability, though.

One thing we don’t have, and which Chemonics has asked for, are reliable metrics regarding which pages users visit the most. Because they’d like to know which parts of the system users are most focused on, it would make sense to gather metrics not just about page hit counts but also about how long users spend on each page.

If don’t already, I can definitely see the benefit of logging frontend (JavaScript related) errors.

I’m under the impression that we don’t collect data about page load times. If that’s so, I’d suggest prioritize it. It seems that the Core team has good performance benchmarks generated at build-time. It also seems, though, that knowing precisely what actual users are experiencing in the real world would be tremendously beneficial. Such data paired with stats about which pages users tend to visit could potentially help us target future UI optimization.

Thank you,
Ben

Hi Sam,

I'm not exactly sure what we would want to achieve with this ticket. Would we want to pull those GA metrics into OpenLMIS and display them on some admin screen? Some clarification here would be good.

Ben, are you saying that current page metrics are not good enough? There's an info on most popular pages, the time users spend there and more, for any given period of time. I see that GA has some section on page load times as well, but I'm not sure how accurate it is - maybe this is something to look into.

On troubleshooting and errors, I think GA can help identify problems such as dead links or other pages that generate many 4xx and 5xx responses. For general troubleshooting, monitoring and more detailed errors, I think we would want admins/implementers to rely on other tools - such as Scalyr, CloudWatch, etc.

Best regards,

Sebastian.
···

On 08.02.2018 10:19, Ben Leibert wrote:

Hi Sam,

It’s definitely helpful to know how many users are logged into the system at the time you’re looking up the metric. If none are, then you know you can take the system down without affecting anyone abruptly. I’m pretty sure we already have this capability, though.

One thing we don’t have, and which Chemonics has asked for, are reliable metrics regarding which pages users visit the most. Because they’d like to know which parts of the system users are most focused on, it would make sense to gather metrics not just about page hit counts but also about how long users spend on each page.

If don’t already, I can definitely see the benefit of logging frontend (JavaScript related) errors.

I’m under the impression that we don’t collect data about page load times. If that’s so, I’d suggest prioritize it. It seems that the Core team has good performance benchmarks generated at build-time. It also seems, though, that knowing precisely what actual users are experiencing in the real world would be tremendously beneficial. Such data paired with stats about which pages users tend to visit could potentially help us target future UI optimization.

Thank you,

Ben

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenLMIS Dev" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openlmis-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit [https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/411524ad-3aab-4b59-af32-ce89110d3fd3%40googlegroups.com](https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/411524ad-3aab-4b59-af32-ce89110d3fd3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer).

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/d/optout](https://groups.google.com/d/optout).

Sebastian Brudziński

Senior Software Developer / Team Leader

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41
sbrudzinski@soldevelo.com

+1 for data about page load times. Google Analytics offers a feature called Site Speed and if we can use it inside our UI, it should be able to offer real-world data about the wait times our users experience in our application (eg, moving from one screen to another, submitting a requisition, converting to order, and so on).

Here is an article about using Google Analytics Site Speed within AngularJS apps:

Background info about the Site Speed part of GA:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1205784?

Regarding the collection and reporting of errors–Javascript errors, 4xx and 5xx responses–that would be nice to have.

Regarding the “when users are logging into OpenLMIS and for how long”, I agree that we should already have that. The existing Google Analytics should be showing that data.