In order to find a workflow which will allow us to easily find automated tests for a given feature, I have come up with the solution described below.
The feature’s name should include similar keywords as we decided to use as labels on Jira e.g. if we’re writing a functional test scenario for adding a new processing period, the feature’s name should be like: “Adding processing periods”. Unlike functional tests, contract tests are grouped by resource, so the scenario for adding and editing is in one feature. In this case, I see two ways to improve searching:
- use a little bit different pattern, and name features like: “Processing periods” or
- split them into smaller features (for adding/updating etc.), and use the same convention as for functional tests.
For both types of tests, the scenario’s name should follow the convention: <user_name> should be able to <action_description>.
Moreover, functional test results are not grouped. In my opinion, it makes a mess and slows down searching on Jenkins, so I would also suggest to update them to be grouped by resource or screen.
Suggested next steps:
- update documentation to include the pattern
- create a ticket to apply the pattern
- create a ticket to add grouping in functional tests results
Let me know, if you have some questions or suggestions.