Sonar Quality Gate

Hi all,

The Sonar Quality Gate has been enabled for all core services. I had to create new Jenkins jobs (as pipeline) but I left old for now in case if I missed any configuration. I will probably remove them near the end of the sprint.

For now we use default settings for Quality Gate:

• Coverage on New Code >= 80%
  • New Bugs == 0
  • New Vulnerabilities == 0
  • Technical Debt Ratio on New Code <= 5%
    The information about Quality Gate status for each service will be displayed on #build slack channel. In the end when you commit new changes please ensure that Quality Gate pass.

Regards,

Lukasz

SolDevelo
Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com
Al. Zwycięstwa 96/98, 81-451, Gdynia, Poland
Phone: +48 58 782 45 40 / Fax: +48 58 782 45 41

···

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewczynski@soldevelo.com

Hi Łukasz,

This is great news. I have a comment, there is one problem that can be present each time we will add new classes with @EqualsAndHashCode annotation. Sonar shows that some number of conditions are not covered by tests. We don’t want to write many unit tests for equals and hashCode methods. But maybe we can use some tools like EqualsVerifier so new code can pass Quality Gate and overall coverage would increase as well?

Best regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

···

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Łukasz Lewczyński llewczynski@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi all,

The Sonar Quality Gate has been enabled for all core services. I had to create new Jenkins jobs (as pipeline) but I left old for now in case if I missed any configuration. I will probably remove them near the end of the sprint.

• New Bugs == 0
    The information about Quality Gate status for each service will be displayed on #build slack channel. In the end when you commit new changes please ensure that Quality Gate pass.

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer

SolDevelo

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenLMIS Dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openlmis-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAAdp53wMMq2WP0M8vPwktBKi3UAUdTo47z7LxJ8U%2Bou9mC550g%40mail.gmail.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Hi Łukasz,

is it possible to have some info about why this quality gate build failed in build details?

Regards,

Mateusz

SolDevelo

···

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Paweł Albecki palbecki@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi Łukasz,

This is great news. I have a comment, there is one problem that can be present each time we will add new classes with @EqualsAndHashCode annotation. Sonar shows that some number of conditions are not covered by tests. We don’t want to write many unit tests for equals and hashCode methods. But maybe we can use some tools like EqualsVerifier so new code can pass Quality Gate and overall coverage would increase as well?

Best regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenLMIS Dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openlmis-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAAJzpf%3DODU8XH%3DqRvwUQCuxQDpttiBxNv9fQ6pDmF0aJoQpUBQ%40mail.gmail.com.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Łukasz Lewczyński llewczynski@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAAdp53wMMq2WP0M8vPwktBKi3UAUdTo47z7LxJ8U%2Bou9mC550g%40mail.gmail.com.

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Paweł Albecki: If a developer add some part of codes (even by adding annotations), those codes should be checked if work properly. I understand that methods like setters, getters, equals, hashCode will probably be implemented correctly but still this is a code that should be tested. I think using the library that you present could be a good way to achieve this.

Mateusz Kwiatkowski: Yes it is possible to add this information but because this is a custom code, each time when we will modify sonar conditions list we will have to update each sonar build on CI. Also in slack message there is a link to sonar results. In my opinion for now we should simple use the link from the slack message.

SolDevelo

···

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Mateusz Kwiatkowski mkwiatkowski@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi Łukasz,

is it possible to have some info about why this quality gate build failed in build details?

Regards,

Mateusz

SolDevelo** Sp. z o.o. [LLC] / www.soldevelo.com

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Paweł Albecki palbecki@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi Łukasz,

Best regards,

Paweł

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAAJzpf%3DODU8XH%3DqRvwUQCuxQDpttiBxNv9fQ6pDmF0aJoQpUBQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

···

After I disabled cross project check for code duplication I found out that some services still have some code duplication:

OpenLMIS Fulfillment: 1%
OpenLMIS Reference Data Service: 0.7%
OpenLMIS Stock Management Service: 0.2%

I think it would be good to add new condition to quality date:

Duplicated Lines (%) is less than 5%

What do you think about that?

I think that’s fine, but if I understand you correctly, all of our services are passing this criteria with ease at the moment, since the highest value is 1%? Shouldn’t we target a lower gate in that case?

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

···

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Łukasz Lewczyński llewczynski@soldevelo.com wrote:

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAAdp53yOBnxd43v0pOM-p0uQPj9ZTEUnOJS%2BvBzrnGbKVaodWA%40mail.gmail.com.

After I disabled cross project check for code duplication I found out that some services still have some code duplication:

Paweł Gesek

Technical Project Manager

pgesek@soldevelo.com / +48 690 020 875

Yes all of services should pass this criteria. In the best scenario this condition should be set to 0% because we don’t want to have duplication in the given service. Now I think maybe it would be better to set it to 0% instead of 5%.

SolDevelo

···

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Paweł Gesek pgesek@soldevelo.com wrote:

I think that’s fine, but if I understand you correctly, all of our services are passing this criteria with ease at the moment, since the highest value is 1%? Shouldn’t we target a lower gate in that case?

Regards,

Paweł

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Łukasz Lewczyński llewczynski@soldevelo.com wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAAdp53yOBnxd43v0pOM-p0uQPj9ZTEUnOJS%2BvBzrnGbKVaodWA%40mail.gmail.com.

Paweł Gesek

I discovered that we have two Sonar Quality Gate profiles:

1. SonarQube way with Metrics
  • Coverage on New Code
  • New Bugs
  • New Vulnerabilities
  • Technical Debt Ratio on New Code
  • New test coverage with Metrics
  • Coverage on New Code
  • Unit Test Duration
    The first one was used everywhere except Referencedata service. I already changed this so configuration for all services is consistent.

It leaves a gap. We don’t use metric for unit test duration. In New test coverage it is set to 15ms. I doubt that this is correct setting for now as in every service we have many tests that wouldn’t pass (mainly because of rest template and IO tests).

Thoughts?

SolDevelo

···

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Łukasz Lewczyński llewczynski@soldevelo.com wrote:

Yes all of services should pass this criteria. In the best scenario this condition should be set to 0% because we don’t want to have duplication in the given service. Now I think maybe it would be better to set it to 0% instead of 5%.

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAAdp53z8zNzX1ky3X85_BEUsRx0dEpQQ-W63bCAG9Q6x_3ZUGg%40mail.gmail.com.

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer

Regards,

Paweł

Paweł Gesek

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

0% gate seems a bit steep, I mean I’m all for DRY, but a little duplication here or there can happen. I would say anything below 1% is good enough.

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

···

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Paweł Albecki palbecki@soldevelo.com wrote:

I discovered that we have two Sonar Quality Gate profiles:

1. SonarQube way with Metrics
  • Coverage on New Code
  • New Bugs
  • New Vulnerabilities
  • Technical Debt Ratio on New Code
  • New test coverage with Metrics
  • Coverage on New Code
  • Unit Test Duration
    The first one was used everywhere except Referencedata service. I already changed this so configuration for all services is consistent.

It leaves a gap. We don’t use metric for unit test duration. In New test coverage it is set to 15ms. I doubt that this is correct setting for now as in every service we have many tests that wouldn’t pass (mainly because of rest template and IO tests).

Thoughts?

SolDevelo

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Łukasz Lewczyński llewczynski@soldevelo.com wrote:

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAAdp53z8zNzX1ky3X85_BEUsRx0dEpQQ-W63bCAG9Q6x_3ZUGg%40mail.gmail.com.

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer

Regards,

Paweł

Paweł Gesek

Paweł Gesek

Hi all,

I want to revive this discussion and ask simple question: is it a good idea to restrict our quality gate a bit? On our Learning Session we agreed that the gate should fail on any new code smell, if we won’t be fixing them we can always remove issue directly from the Sonar. Now when we are introducing code smells we don’t have any info if we don’t check Sonar manually.

Regards,

Mateusz

···

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 1:18:30 PM UTC+1, Łukasz Lewczyński wrote:

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewc...@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

Hi Mateusz,

I do not think it is the best idea to have sonar build failed just because there are some small code smells. It will be great, though, if you find a way to have some notifications for developers who introduced that smell and maybe to Slack #dev channel as well.

Best regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

···

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 1:08 PM, mkwiatkowski mkwiatkowski@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi all,

I want to revive this discussion and ask simple question: is it a good idea to restrict our quality gate a bit? On our Learning Session we agreed that the gate should fail on any new code smell, if we won’t be fixing them we can always remove issue directly from the Sonar. Now when we are introducing code smells we don’t have any info if we don’t check Sonar manually.

Regards,

Mateusz

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewc...@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/202a0dc7-17d5-473e-84f5-c01b379766b0%40googlegroups.com.

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Hi Pawel,

I don’t think it is that bad, Sonar build does not block other whole workflow so changes will be deployed etc., than you can disable issue on Sonar and next Sonar build won’t fail, but you are right, some notification will suffice.

Regards,

Mateusz

SolDevelo

···

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 1:50 PM, Paweł Albecki palbecki@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi Mateusz,

I do not think it is the best idea to have sonar build failed just because there are some small code smells. It will be great, though, if you find a way to have some notifications for developers who introduced that smell and maybe to Slack #dev channel as well.

Best regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

Hi all,

Regards,

Mateusz

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewc...@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/202a0dc7-17d5-473e-84f5-c01b379766b0%40googlegroups.com.

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

+1 to breaking the build on code smells - these warnings usually have little sense if they don’t break the builds.

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

···

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Mateusz Kwiatkowski mkwiatkowski@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi Pawel,

I don’t think it is that bad, Sonar build does not block other whole workflow so changes will be deployed etc., than you can disable issue on Sonar and next Sonar build won’t fail, but you are right, some notification will suffice.

Regards,

Mateusz

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAHq-FDPR%3DDVwsk_Ve93%2BVCfsReR2GUwZhk78HTdXimp%3DA56yeQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Hi Mateusz,

Best regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

Hi all,

Regards,

Mateusz

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewc...@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

SolDevelo

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Paweł Gesek

Code smell is just tech debt. I am also for fixing them immediately as they arise but I am wondering if dealing with things like small code duplication, cyclomatic complexity or remove usage of some deprecated class is more important than deliver on time.
We also have some sonar rules that doesn’t make sense like: Annotate the interface with the @FunctionalInterface annotation. Not every interface with one method is suppose to be used as functional interface.

SolDevelo

···

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Paweł Gesek pgesek@soldevelo.com wrote:

+1 to breaking the build on code smells - these warnings usually have little sense if they don’t break the builds.

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Mateusz Kwiatkowski mkwiatkowski@soldevelo.com wrote:

Hi Pawel,

Regards,

Mateusz

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CAHq-FDPR%3DDVwsk_Ve93%2BVCfsReR2GUwZhk78HTdXimp%3DA56yeQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Paweł Gesek

Hi Mateusz,

Best regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

Hi all,

Regards,

Mateusz

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewc...@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

SolDevelo

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

If we have rules that we don’t intend to follow we should disable them, before we set the gates to fail.

The argument of sacrificing quality to achieve deadlines is a slippery slope - for example Scrum forbids it during a sprint. We all know how it goes when there is a rush towards a release, but all debt has to be paid sooner or later.

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

···

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Paweł Albecki palbecki@soldevelo.com wrote:

Code smell is just tech debt. I am also for fixing them immediately as they arise but I am wondering if dealing with things like small code duplication, cyclomatic complexity or remove usage of some deprecated class is more important than deliver on time.
We also have some sonar rules that doesn’t make sense like: Annotate the interface with the @FunctionalInterface annotation. Not every interface with one method is suppose to be used as functional interface.

SolDevelo

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Hi Pawel,

Regards,

Mateusz

SolDevelo

Paweł Gesek

Hi Mateusz,

Best regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

Hi all,

Regards,

Mateusz

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewc...@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

SolDevelo

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Paweł Gesek

One more thing, we still don’t have quality gate for duplications. Łukasz, will you add this or I should do it?

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

···

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:50 AM, Paweł Gesek pgesek@soldevelo.com wrote:

If we have rules that we don’t intend to follow we should disable them, before we set the gates to fail.

The argument of sacrificing quality to achieve deadlines is a slippery slope - for example Scrum forbids it during a sprint. We all know how it goes when there is a rush towards a release, but all debt has to be paid sooner or later.

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/CADt-Nu1b3RKRhTAwiLDgVwPGVvbZNY%3D%3D51A__7tuPeD3iV3Mjg%40mail.gmail.com.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Paweł Albecki palbecki@soldevelo.com wrote:

SolDevelo

Paweł Gesek

Regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Hi Pawel,

Regards,

Mateusz

SolDevelo

Paweł Gesek

Hi Mateusz,

Best regards,

Paweł

SolDevelo

Hi all,

Regards,

Mateusz

Hi all,

• New Bugs == 0

Regards,

Lukasz

Łukasz Lewczyński
Software Developer
llewc...@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

SolDevelo

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

SolDevelo

···

If we agreed to add this quality gate, feel free to add it.

• Lukasz

I think there was an agreement that 1% is not too low. I set this value for now, we can always lower it later.

• Paweł

SolDevelo

···

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Łukasz Lewczyński llewczynski@soldevelo.com wrote:

SolDevelo

If we agreed to add this quality gate, feel free to add it.

• Lukasz

Paweł Albecki

Software Developer

palbecki@soldevelo.com

+1 for Paweł Gesek’s comments:

• If we have rules we do not intend to follow, we should disable those.
  • When it comes to Code Smells and Sonar alerts, we should not sacrifice quality to achieve deadlines. If we let a few months go by sacrificing quality or ignoring sonar alerts, we would have tons of code smells in there. At that point, we would have no memory of all those parts of the codebase we were working on. It’s much cheaper to get alerts and fix it right away, hopefully within minutes after we write the code itself.

Hi,

I’ve restricted Sonar quality gate to fail on any code smell, to get it “work” on UI I had to disable checks for:

• trailing spaces - because of problems with License Header, we have ticket for that: OLMIS-3964,

• using strict in JS files - we are using it in every JS file,

• to many parameters in JS functions - the problem is with injecting more than 7 services or other parameters to controllers etc. which we can’t avoid, but we are also loosing check for number of parameters in regular functions,

• function names should use cammelCase - we have functions like ProofOfDeliveryRepository or FacilityListController which are starting with upper case letter, we could rename them and keep original names while declaring those components (angular.module(some-module).controller(‘FacilityListController’, facilityListController))

Any opinions on this? Should we keep disabled checks or somehow resolve some them?

Best Regards,
Mateusz

SolDevelo

···

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 9:12 PM, brandon.bowersox-johnson brandon.bowersox-johnson@villagereach.org wrote:

+1 for Paweł Gesek’s comments:

• If we have rules we do not intend to follow, we should disable those.
  • When it comes to Code Smells and Sonar alerts, we should not sacrifice quality to achieve deadlines. If we let a few months go by sacrificing quality or ignoring sonar alerts, we would have tons of code smells in there. At that point, we would have no memory of all those parts of the codebase we were working on. It’s much cheaper to get alerts and fix it right away, hopefully within minutes after we write the code itself.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/8aa75aef-c803-45ef-85e3-e78468f0f61a%40googlegroups.com.