Upgrade Jenkins to version 2

Hi everyone,

I worked on upgrading version of Jenkins. Therefore I propose several steps to accomplish this. First will be downloading new Jenkins war file through wget. Then we will take a backup of the existing version. It will be achieved by installing Backup plugin which allows to backup all important content, such as job workspace or builds history. After that we will check if the backup was created. Next, we will copy the newly downloaded war file to the /usr/lib/jenkins directory. Then the Jenkins service will be restarted. Last step will include going through the setup wizard, checking if the version of Jenkins has change and fixing potential failures.

I will be grateful for your opinions. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Best regards,
Klaudia

Hi Klaudia,

Sounds good. We also have several integrations, such as slack and github, and other tool config like docker, sonar, etc. Another good final test is to make a commit to a repository, ensure a build is run as well as a sonar update. Only failed builds are posted to Slack.

···

-----Original Message-----
From: openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com [mailto:openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Klaudia Palkowska
Sent: Monday, August 1, 2016 9:35 AM
To: OpenLMIS Dev <openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [openlmis-dev] Upgrade Jenkins to version 2

Hi everyone,

I worked on upgrading version of Jenkins. Therefore I propose several steps to accomplish this. First will be downloading new Jenkins war file through wget. Then we will take a backup of the existing version. It will be achieved by installing Backup plugin which allows to backup all important content, such as job workspace or builds history. After that we will check if the backup was created. Next, we will copy the newly downloaded war file to the /usr/lib/jenkins directory. Then the Jenkins service will be restarted. Last step will include going through the setup wizard, checking if the version of Jenkins has change and fixing potential failures.

I will be grateful for your opinions. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Best regards,
Klaudia

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenLMIS Dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openlmis-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/1ea413c7-eb1e-66ef-ec16-e738fa9e8554%40soldevelo.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hello,
version of Jenkins is upgraded to 2.7.1. It seems that everything works properly, but we are still verifying it. If you notice that something is wrong just let us know.

Best regards,
Klaudia

···

On 01.08.2016 23:15, Rich Magnuson wrote:

Hi Klaudia,

Sounds good. We also have several integrations, such as slack and github, and other tool config like docker, sonar, etc. Another good final test is to make a commit to a repository, ensure a build is run as well as a sonar update. Only failed builds are posted to Slack.

From: openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com [mailto:openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Klaudia Palkowska
To: OpenLMIS Dev <openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com>

Hi everyone,

Best regards,
Klaudia

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenLMIS Dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openlmis-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/1ea413c7-eb1e-66ef-ec16-e738fa9e8554%40soldevelo.com.

I’m curious - I thought that one of the advantages of Jenkins 2+ was the ability to describe pipelines-as-code. Do we know if we get that “code” for free in upgrading? Could we version control this?

···

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 7:36:44 AM UTC-7, Klaudia Pałkowska wrote:

Hello,
version of Jenkins is upgraded to 2.7.1. It seems that everything works
properly, but we are still verifying it. If you notice that something is
wrong just let us know.

Best regards,
Klaudia

Hi Klaudia,

To: OpenLMIS Dev openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

Best regards,
Klaudia

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenLMIS Dev” group.

Hi Josh,

You can create that "code" (Jenkinsfile) with your preferred Groovy editor, or through the configuration page on the web interface of your Jenkins instance. There is no possibility to get it for free, but once you create your Jenkinsfile, it is possible to version control it.

Best regards,

Klaudia
···

On 05.08.2016 at 21:22, Josh Zamor wrote:

I'm curious - I thought that one of the advantages of Jenkins 2+ was the ability to describe pipelines-as-code.  Do we know if we get that "code" for free in upgrading?  Could we version control this?

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 7:36:44 AM UTC-7, Klaudia Pałkowska wrote:
      Hello,

version of Jenkins is upgraded to 2.7.1. It seems that everything works

properly, but we are still verifying it. If you notice that something is

wrong just let us know.

Best regards,

Klaudia

> Hi Klaudia,

>

> Sounds good.  We also have several integrations, such as slack and github, and other tool config like docker, sonar, etc.  Another good final test is to make a commit to a repository, ensure a build is run as well as a sonar update.  Only failed builds are posted to Slack.

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com [mailto:openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com          ] On Behalf Of Klaudia Palkowska

> Sent: Monday, August 1, 2016 9:35 AM

> To: OpenLMIS Dev <openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com          >

> Subject: [openlmis-dev] Upgrade Jenkins to version 2

>

> Hi everyone,

>

> I worked on upgrading version of Jenkins. Therefore I propose several steps to accomplish this. First will be downloading new Jenkins war file through wget. Then we will take a backup of the existing version. It will be achieved by installing Backup plugin which allows to backup all important content, such as job workspace or builds history. After that we will check if the backup was created. Next, we will copy the newly downloaded war file to the /usr/lib/jenkins directory. Then the Jenkins service will be restarted. Last step will include going through the setup wizard, checking if the version of Jenkins has change and fixing potential failures.

>

> I will be grateful for your opinions. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

>

> Best regards,

> Klaudia

>

> --

> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenLMIS Dev" group.

> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openlmis-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com          .

> To post to this group, send email to openlmis-dev@googlegroups.com          .

> To view this discussion on the web visit [https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/1ea413c7-eb1e-66ef-ec16-e738fa9e8554%40soldevelo.com](https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openlmis-dev/1ea413c7-eb1e-66ef-ec16-e738fa9e8554%40soldevelo.com)          .

> For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/d/optout](https://groups.google.com/d/optout)          .

>